6 Steps for Choosing a Real Estate Domain Name
By Seth Price
We hate to be the ones to break it to you, but most prospective homebuyers aren’t searching for YOU on the web: they’re searching for properties. They’re not going to Google (or Bing or Yahoo!) and typing in “Joe Agent real estate.” Instead, they’re typing in things like “Boston homes for sale” and “houses for sale in Boston.” It’s not the “who” that they’re focused on, it’s the “where.” So, when choosing a domain name for your real estate website, what kinds of search terms do you think you should you focus on? If the word “LOCAL” just popped into your head, you’re 100 percent correct.
Keeping these local search statistics in mind, let’s dive into the 6 steps for choosing a real estate domain name:
1) Start with the location you want to target (e.g. Boston)
2) Add what you have to offer (e.g. homes for sale, luxury condos, etc.)
3) Do your research! Use the Google Adwords Keyword Tool to see how much monthly traffic your search terms receive (e.g. “Boston homes for sale, “Boston luxury condos,” etc.)
4) Choose a few of the highest-ranking keyword combinations, add “.com” to the ends, and do a quick search to make sure they’re not already taken. Pro tip: if you’re having trouble finding available domain names, try adding on a word that describes you or your brand. A great example of this is The Phoenix Real Estate Guy’s domain name (phoenixrealestateguy.com).
6) Pull the trigger. Once you’ve decided on a search engine-optimized domain name that fits your budget, buy it from an online vendor.
Here are some of the most popular domain name vendor options:
Want to learn more about building a search engine-optimized real estate website? Click the button below to download our free eBook.
Published on June 3, 2013
[eBook] The Ultimate Guide to Building a Real Estate WebsiteDownload eBook Free
Written by Seth Price
Seth is a brand and marketing strategist with 20 years of digital marketing experience. He’s a founding team member and VP @Placester, author of the bestselling small business marketing book, The Road to Recognition and host of The Craft of Marketing and Marketing Genius podcasts. As a speaker, writer, and marketing workshop leader, Seth brings levity, mentorship, and a dose of reality to the businesses and entrepreneurs he coaches.